(shadow puppetry) is an ancient and sacred form of Cambodian theater traditionally performed on ceremonial occasions. Performances of Sbeik Thom
feature puppeteers and dancers manipulating large-scale leather shadow puppets against a lit screen while accompanied by a pinpeat
ensemble. Commissioned by Arts Brookfield as part of Season of Cambodia
, the Sbeik Thom Troupe from Wat Bo in Siem Reap will perform Sor Neakabas
– a tale from the Reamker
, Cambodia’s beloved version of the Ramayana
epic. Under threat of extinction during the Khmer Rouge regime, this Sbeik Thom
performance is not only a New York City premiere, but also a testament to the strength of a remarkable nation, culture, and community of artists.
HOW TO BETTER ENJOY THE PERFORMANCE
- Audience members may sit on the floor, benches, and staircase, or stand. “Behind-the-scenes” action is viewable on the Plaza.
- Camping chairs/stools and portable seating are NOT PERMITTED.
- Coffee, snacks, and meals are available for purchase at Brookfield Place’s restaurants and eateries. Picnicking is allowed during this event.
- Alcohol and Beverage/food coolers are NOT PERMITTED
- NON-FLASH photography and videotaping are allowed. Please turn off flash.
- Cushions and small blankets/mats may be used in the floor seating area.
Season of Cambodia lights up New York City’s cultural landscape in April and May, with more than 125 artists from Cambodia for a major celebration of the country’s arts, culture, and humanities. Distinctive works from master and emerging artists and scholars – in ritual, music, visual art, performance, dance, shadow puppetry, film, and academic forums – will be presented by 30 of New York’s most renowned arts and educational institutions, marking an unprecedented citywide partnership to celebrate one of the world’s most vibrant and evocative cultures. Season of Cambodia is an initiative of Cambodian Living Arts. Leading cultural and educational institutions as varied as Asia Society, Brooklyn Academy of Music, Works & Process at the Guggenheim Museum, Lower Manhattan Cultural Council, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Parsons The New School for Design, Mark Morris Dance Group, and Arts Brookfield will participate in Season of Cambodia.
- Related Links
- Shadow Puppet Troupe of Wat Bo
- Season of Cambodia